Utility bills are the second highest expense next to your home’s mortgage. Your AC unit plays a huge role in managing your utility bill’s expenses, and the older your unit, the less efficient it becomes.
If it’s time for you to upgrade your AC unit, you need to know the right questions to ask to know exactly what you’re getting for your air conditioning investment.
Questions to ask your HVAC contractor.
The best way to ensure you get the best contractor is through word of mouth. HVAC companies with lots of great detailed reviews and referrals from friends or family are a great place to start.
But (there’s always a but):
Just because you found an HVAC contractor with great reviews and a referral from a friend, doesn’t mean you’re off the hook from asking good questions. Here are 10 questions to ask your HVAC contractor.
1. Does your contractor know how to properly conduct a Manual J Load Calculation. What’s a Manual J? That’s the calculation done to determine the exact size of AC unit you need to most efficiently heat and cool your home. You’d be surprised how many contractors don’t do, or don’t know how to do, a Manual J!
2. Does your home have ductwork? If not, you can save a lot of money by choosing a ductless mini-split over a conventional central air unit.
3. Can your contractor show proof that they have insurance incase your home is damaged? Make sure you get your estimate, terms, and conditions in writing before your contractor begins working on your home.
4. Are there new technologies I should consider, like a ductless system, or upgraded accessories to add, like digital / remote-operated thermostats? Learn about air conditioning options for homes with a boiler system (no ductwork).
5. What is the SEER rating? SEER rating is the standard measurement of efficiency for HVAC units.
6. What brands does your contractor carry and are they licensed to install and maintain those units?
7. Are there any manufacturer warranties you should be aware of?
8. How does your HVAC contractor handle payments? Is financing available?
9. Are there any guarantees that the HVAC contractor offers? Any discounts, coupons, or online form fill-outs for future discounts?
10. How long does it take to install a new ductless mini split AC unit?
Having the right questions to ask an HVAC contractor is a great way to make sure you get exactly what you are willing to pay for and make sure your contractor does things right. Having questions to ask doesn’t always have to be about making sure a contractor does things right. A reputable contractor can be given the benefit of the doubt, but good questions can be very helpful to communicate to your contractor exactly what you are looking for.